Friday, May 21, 2010

What to Eat, Halcyon Crane, and an overabundance of memes

I've finished my book for Tome's 500 page book challenge -- What to Eat by Marion Nestle.  It's not my favorite food-related non-fiction book I've ever read.  Nestle, a nutrition professor at NYU, certainly knows whereof she speaks, but apparently that wasn't enough to make me fall in love with this book.  I think it's a great book if you want to learn more about the politics of the food industry, labeling, product placement, etc., this is a great resource.  (As, I assume, would be Nestle's earlier book,  Food Politics.) 

I took this book along with me to various places while I was reading it.  When someone asked me about it, my response usually started with "The author is a nutrition prof at NYU and it's a very balanced book".  As funny as it is to admit, I think that very balanced approach is part, perhaps, of what turned me off.  Nestle acknowledges that there are very few hard and fast rules when it comes to food and maybe I like to have those hard and fast rules.  :)  I think I'd like to pick up Nina Planck's Real Food and Brian Wansink's Mindless Eating again and see if that helps me clarify what wasn't a draw for me in What to Eat.  I think this book would be a great pick for someone who hasn't thought much about basic nutrition, what influences food choices, why supermarkets are arranged the way they are, etc.




1. Grab the book nearest you right now. 
2. Turn to page 56.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like).  
5. Post a link with your post to Storytime with Tonya and Friends.



She looked nothing like the Jackie Kennedy mother I had imagined.  It was not quite my own face but very close to it.  Madlyn Crane had long wavy auburn hair like mine, which in this photograph was blowing in an unseen breeze.
~From The Tale of Halcyon Crane, by Wendy Webb
If I didn't have a doctor's appointment this morning, I just might have stayed up late to finish this one!



Hosted by My Little Life
This week's questions are:


1. Do you have an iPhone and, if so, how do you get apps and what are your favorites?
I don't have an iPhone.  If I did, I think I'd mostly just love the camera and being able to check my e-mail on it.  But owning one is definitely not on the top of my wishlist.


2. What is your fondest memory of K-3rd grade?
Hmmm....  I remember walking down the sloped, red-carpeted hallway to the library in Madison Elementary and singing "come-ah, come-ah, come-ah chameleon" and thinking I was pretty cool to "know" the words to that song.

3. What makes you cringe at the thought of touching?
I don't think I cringe very easily.  Probably anything that might bite me if the bite would have serious repercussions -- something poisonous, not just anything with teeth.

4. If you could have any celebrity show up on your doorstep who would it be and why?
Well, the first one that comes to mind is Pierce Brosnan.  I really don't have very many celebrity crushes at all, but I liked watching Remington Steele when I was little.  In addition to that, I really do think he's good people from everything I've read and heard.


5. What would you say is your best physical feature?
 I'm gonna go with my hair and fingernails, though I have no idea what others would say.


To Play:
Answer my question, go post your own question
on your blog, then go link up at
An Island Life and visit the other
players and answer their questions.






My questions is: What are you looking forward to in June?
And my own (overly long) answer: 
 
June is going to be a great month around here. My daughter's last day of school is the 4th and my husband should be finished with all of his grading by then as well.   I'm participating in MotherReader's 48 hour book challenge the 4th-7th.  
On the 13th my daughter will have her first Theater Explorers class of the summer at the Arvada Center -- she took the same class last year and decided to use her birthday money to take it again this year.  She is looking forward to starting and my husband and I usually use the hour each Sunday afternoon to walk in the art gallery, talk together, align our schedules, and simply talk together. 
The 18th-20th we are going camping with a group from my attachment parenting discussion board.  This will be the fourth summer we've done this and it is always a good time.   It will be our first time at Rocky Mountain National Park and I'm glad we will get the chance to explore a little bit more of Colorado.

June 23rd will be one year since I was hit by a car.  I am thinking it would be nice to have a giant everyone invited party/potluck at our apartment to mark the occasion.  Then my in-laws arrive on the 26th for a week long visit and I'm definitely looking forward to that!


I'll close for now.  Snozz, if you are still reading, I'm impressed.  :)
 

1 comment:

  1. In June we have birthdays, no school and of course the summer bash on our blog so that's what we've got lined up (so far).

    http://www.myloonyverse.com/2010/05/aloha-friday-if-you-could-choose-one.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments are a good way to brighten my day! Feel free to leave your name along with your thoughts.